Last night, I spent some time taking care of some housecleaning on my blog. Here’s a brief summary of what I did last night.
- Installed Bad Behavior Plugin
I was getting annoyed at the occasional trackback spammer linking to a post–either merely trackbacking to certain posts or completely taking my content to use as a post on an obvious ad-site. I now have what I consider a pretty good perimeter to protect against comment and tracback spam: Akismet, Spam Karma 2, and Bad Behavior.
- Corrected a Strange WordPress Error
I discovered this problem when I was transitioning from Categories to Tags after settling in with WordPress 2.3.1. WP 2.3.1 transitions from categories to tags, and the database tables that held categories were removed. When I was removing categories after I had moved to tags, I kept getting a strange error. The same error would appear when I was updating links in my blogroll and their categories. The error below (or some variation) was what I would see:
WordPress database error: [Table ‘foo_db1.wp_post2cat’ doesn’t exist]
I knew that I did not have any plugins referencing categories, and most of my plugins and themes were up-to-date. I stripped everything down on my blog, but the problem still existed. Based on a thread here, I decided to upload the WP 2.3.1 base files. Once I re-uploaded the wp-includes directory, the problem stopped. It was then that I was reminded of a problem I experienced with FileZilla at the time I updated my blog. I had thought I had corrected it by performing the upload via scp, but apparently I did not completely upload everything. I should have been tipped off by another problem I fixed.
- Corrected a Problem with Windows Live Writer
When I was using Windows Live Writer, I was getting an error when I would try to have it update the list of categories to select when editing or creating a post. The error pointed to an error coming from what Windows Live Writer uses to communicate to WordPress blogs, XML-RPC. On a hunch, I looked at the xmlrpc.php file in the root of my blog installation. I compared it to the standard WP 2.3.1 installation, and I noticed the one on my blog install was older. I updated that file, and my error in getting categories in Windows Live Writer went away.
- Cleaned the Blogroll
I started cleaning up my blogroll. If you don’t see your blog there, do not get offended. I decided to pare it down to those blogs I read that are updated with some degree of frequency. I am pondering moving the blogroll to another page just to reduce the clutter on the left margin of my blog, but that is a project for another day.
- Updated Other Plugins
I updated a couple of plugins to their latest version. I have re-added Twitter Tools, and I updated the Subscribe Me plugin as well. I also added Simple Tags as an easier way to manage tags in WP 2.3.1, as the native tools suck badly.